808 Threads was created to bring body positivity and empowerment to the women of Adelaide and fill the gap that existed in the dress hire industry for sizes over 12. We established in April 2017 as a partnership dedicated to providing this service to women above a size 12 who deserve to hire a beautiful garment at a fraction of the retail price, and most importantly feel good about themselves.
We currently stock sizes 12 to 20 with some limited 10s and 22s. Our aim is to create a comfortable space for women to shop in and help strengthen their self-love toward themselves and their bodies.
Many people ask where our unique name stemmed from; the number 8 takes form of an hour-glass figured woman, while the number 808 is the penal code for disturbing the peace! It can be heard in many hip-hop/RnB songs as a reference to the Roland TR-808 (a significant composing machine that changed the genre). And Threads? It's what clothes are made of!
808 Threads has been featured on blogs like Adelady, This is Radelaide, The Adelaidian, and Times Two Blog, while being named "pioneers in the Adelaide dress hire scene" for including women that have otherwise been left out of the Adelaide fashion scene.
"We want to help them feel beautiful by embracing their bodies and expressing themselves through fashion. Our ultimate 808 goal is to empower and bring confidence to women in Adelaide, and dare I say Australia... one curve at a time!"
- Co-founder Alexia Frangos.
Enjoy browsing our site, you can find our garments in the gallery and on our Facebook & Instagram pages!
HOW TO HIRE
**Please read our updated Terms & Conditions tab as some policies have changed**
Booking your appointment: All bookings are now made through the 'Book An Appointment' section below. As our appointment blocks are a duration of 30 minutes we do have back-to-back bookings on a regular basis, so we can't stress enough how important it is to be on time. If you are over 15 minutes late to your appointment and there is another client due after you, your time will unfortunately be cut short as you may be pushing into that person's session. If you are very early to your appointment please wait until 5 minutes before your appointed time to approach the store as we are likely to be finishing up with a customer before you. We encourage you to research our location once it is disclosed to you and allow time to travel and find a park to make it to our showroom on time.
Booking the garment: Our policy is first-in best-dressed, we do not hold garments without payment of the hire fee. We encourage clients to come into the store to check out our collection and try on what they like as this is the best way to see what garments fit your unique figure – we also offer styling advice during the appointment. We accept all the major credit cards or cash. A transaction receipt will be sent to you via email or text if you wish.
Borrowing the garment: The bond is payable on pick-up of the garment. The bond amount is subject to the value of the garment and prices vary. You don't need to launder your garment as the dry cleaning price is included in the hire fee; all you need to do is wear your garment, have a great time, and return it with our hanger and garment bag once you're done. If you return the garment without the correct hanger or garment bag a $5 fee will be deducted from your bond per missing item.
Returning the garment: Returns are to be arranged for Sunday following your weekend hire and returned to 808 Threads (return day differs if weeknight hire). You will receive a text Sunday morning to give you our timeframe for returns - you must reply with the time of your return. Late fees apply to those who do not respond to texts or purposely miss their allocated drop-off time, and fees will be removed from the bond per day late. See our Terms & Conditions for further information.
Postage: If you're situated in rural South Australia or Interstate we offer postage of our garments. Booking a garment can be secured by paying the hire fee, bond, and postage fee upfront. The bond rate for postage hires differs to non-postage hires and is subject to change. Payment is to be sent via bank transfer or over the phone with credit card and will not be booked unless the transaction/transfer is successful. Postage fees are dependant on the weight of the garment and are to be paid to 808 Threads with the hire fee. Garments will be sent to you on the Wednesday of the week of your hire via Express Post, and must be returned to 808 Threads by Monday COB hours. We include a returns bag in your parcel for you to easily return to us, which is included in the overall postage fee. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions page.
General Policies: please refer to our Terms & Conditions page for all policies.
LOCATION & TRADING
Location: 808 Threads is located on Hampstead Road, Manningham SA 5086 near the Hampstead Hotel. You can legally park on Hampstead Road anytime after 9am any day, as it is a bike lane from 7am-9am Mon-Fri only. There is also a parking/land area off our driveway accessible from Taunton Road that is legal to park on.
The showroom is located on the corner of Hampstead Road and Taunton Road; it is a 5 minute drive from Melbourne Street, and 10 minute drive from the CBD and The Parade Norwood.
You can access the front entrance by walking towards the bus shelter after parking, signage is also visible to help you locate our front entrance. Full address will be disclosed once you have made a booking through the system below.
Trading: If you have hired a dress without visiting us, the full address will be provided before your garment pick-up. Opening hours are reliant on appointments, we are not open without a booking and we do not accept walk-ins. You are welcome to bring a friend or family member to help you with your garment decisions.
Appointment times generally take 30 minutes, if you are bringing a friend to try on garments with, please book a double appointment as 30 minutes only allows 1 person for try-ons.
Trading hours are subject to change due to demand times or change of schedule. Please understand we are a home-based business, and to respect the property and garments. Your cooperation and understanding is greatly appreciated.
Check out some of our hand-picked garments below.
***NEW ARRIVALS TO BE UPLOADED SOON***
We like to showcase different body types, so you may see the same dress on a few people!
For constant updates on new garments please go to our Facebook & Instagram pages.
(p) = size pictured
(a) = also comes in
SIZES 10 - 14
SIZES 16 - 20
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
All appointments are held from 808 Threads Boutique located on Hampstead Road, Manningham, SA 5086.
Full address disclosed upon booking.
A reminder that appointments are usually booked back-to-back due to our limited trading hours, please be on time.
NOTE: if you plan on NOT attending your appointment due whatever circumstance, PLEASE message the mobile number provided in your booking email to let us know you WILL NOT be attending your appointment. We also have other jobs/responsibilities and greatly appreciate being told in advance if you're not going to make your appointment, rather than waiting around for no-one... we promise we won't be upset if given a heads up!
A $10.00 booking fee is required upon booking, this is only to ensure the client attends the appointment they have chosen. This payment will be refunded once you attend the appointment/taken off the hire fee or if you cancel/change your appointment slot before the 24 hour timeframe.
You will be sent a reminder 30 hours before your appointment, if you do not cancel/change your appointment slot within 6 hours of receiving the email we will take it that you are attending.
If you wish to cancel your appointment after the 24hr timeframe please do so by contacting 808 Threads (mobile number provided in booking emails) by doing so you understand the booking fee will not be refunded.
As we have very limited trading hours, we cannot guarantee that if you cancel your appointment you will be able to book in another time for your preferred slot. We advise you make your appointment decision carefully.
We rely heavily on our clientele, and value and appreciate each client equally.
808 Threads cannot guarantee that all garments will be available on any given day to try on.
Bond fees for garments hired within South Australia are dependant on the garment's RRP.
Prices subject to change without notice.
You DO NOT need to book an appointment if you are picking up or returning a garment to 808 Threads, these times will be arranged via email or text with management after your initial hire.
Appointment slots are for try-on consultations only.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW LONG IS THE HIRING TIMEFRAME?
If the garment is to be worn for a Friday, Saturday or Sunday we allow pick-up from the store from Thursday onwards and is to be returned by Monday COB as to be ready for the next hire period.
If your garment is to be worn on a Monday-Thursday we allow pick-up the day before or the day of, and to be returned by COB the following day. Posted garments for a weekend hire will be sent on the Wednesday and are to be posted back using our return satchel by Monday COB.
WHAT IF I NEED TO CANCEL OR SWAP MY HIRE?
808 THREADS no longer offers refunds on any pre-booked garments due to change of mind. we will offer a redeemable store credit for the value of the hire fee paid. The RENTER will receive their bond back if paid in advance for change of mind. Garments may be swapped with 1 weeks' notice and only if your new chosen garment is available for hire on your preferred date. If the new garment is of higher value the difference in fee must be paid, if it is of lesser value the difference will not be refunded. 1 swap per booking.
CAN I BRING A FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER WITH ME?
Most definitely; we encourage you to bring whomever you like to help make your garment decision. However, if this person is also wanting to try on garments this will have to be disclosed when first making a booking as to allow a longer appointment time to be arranged.
DO I NEED TO WASH OR DRY CLEAN MY GARMENT?
No – we take care of the laundering for you. all dry-cleaning costs are included in the hire fee. see our t&cs for more information.
WHAT IF I CHANGE MY MIND AFTER PICK-UP?
We do not do exchanges or refunds for change of mind after the dress has been picked up from store or posted as the hire is deemed successful once this process is complete – unless the dress is faulty. If your dress is faulty after pick-up and before you have put it on for your event please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or our FB page immediately to resolve the issue.
DO YOU SELL GARMENTS?
No we do not sell or wholesale any garments, we are a hire-based business only.
WHAT IF I RETURN THE GARMENT LATE?
Late fees will apply if the garment isn't returned to 808 threads by Monday C.O.B or if you miss your allocated drop-off time. a deduction of $10 will come out of your bond per day late. see t&cs.
WHERE DO I PARK?
You can legally park on Hampstead Road any day after 9am OR AT HAMPSTEAD HOTEL. You can also park on the land/verge NEXT TO THE PROPERTY which you can access from the driveway off Taunton Road (please park close to the front entrance/bus shelter as to not obstruct the driveway).
WHERE CAN I FIND YOUR COLLECTION?
you can find most of our garments in the gallery above, however The best place to find our new additions are through our Facebook and Instagram pages.
HOW DO I BOOK AN APPOINTMENT to VIEW YOUR COLLECTION?
Scroll up to our 'Book An Appointment' section, choose a time & date and fill out your details. Simple!
CAN I TAKE THE GARMENT INTERSTATE?
As long as you are able to return the garment to 808 Threads by the Monday COB of your hire date we are happy for you to travel with your piece over the weekend.
HOW DO I CONFIRM MY APPOINTMENT?
You will be sent a reminder email 30 hours before your appointment, if you do not cancel/change your appointment we will assume your booking is confirmed. If you wish to cancel/change your appointment please do so within 6 hours of receiving the reminder email, if you cancel within 24hrs prior to your booking the fee will not be refunded. you will have to contact 808 threads to cancel your appointment under 24hrs notice.
CAN I PUT A DRESS ON HOLD WITHOUT PAYING?
Unfortunately we do not hold garments for any date without payment; the only way to secure the dress for your date is by paying the hire fee via bank transfer or coming into the store. If you have enquired to book a garment and haven't sent remittance of payment we will assume you no longer want to hire the dress and will keep it available for said date.
HOW DO I FIND YOUR ADDRESS?
After making your booking via the system below, you will receive confirmation email with our full address. Please take the time to find our address on Maps as to avoid confusion and potentially running late for your appointment.
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY BOND BACK?
Any bonds paid by the RENTER will be refunded within 1 week of the garments' return to 808 THREADS by bank transfer, as to review the garment for any damages –see our t&Cs for more information.
Please fill out the form below to send through any enquiries.
If you wish to book an appointment please go to 'Book An Appointment' in the section above!
If your query is about policies, bond, postage or hire procedures, please read our new Terms & Conditions section below.
We will respond to you as soon as we can.
We are always eager to meet new clients and spread the message of body positivity. We can't wait to help you find a gorgeous garment for your next event!
Manningham, SA, 5086
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
BY RENTING ANY GARMENT FROM 808 THREADS YOU AGREE TO ALL OF THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
Hire Fee – The fee to be paid by the RENTER to 808 THREADS to secure the garment for their desired date.
Bond – The fee to be paid by the RENTER to 808 THREADS upon pick-up and is held by 808 THREADS while the garment is in the RENTER’S possession. The fee covers any damages to the garment (see Clause 2 & 3), late fees, and additional dry-cleaning charges incurred by 808 THREADS.
Garment – Any item of clothing owned by 808 THREADS.
RENTAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. To book any hire with 808 THREADS the RENTER must pay the disclosed hire fee. 808 THREADS will not hold any garments for customers without payment of the hire fee. The bond is payable to 808 THREADS when booking a garment or on pick-up of the garment. The value of the hire fee and bond is determined by 808 THREADS based on the recommended retail price (RRP) of the garment and will be disclosed to the RENTER. 808 THREADS accepts payment in the forms of cash or credit card only.
2. It is the RENTER’S responsibility to ensure that the garment is kept in the same condition in which it was given to them. If the garment is damaged (e.g. torn (major or minor), broken zips, missing hooks/eyes, stained etc.) while in the possession of the RENTER, 808 THREADS has the discretion to withhold all, or a portion of, the bond paid by the RENTER. 808 THREADS understands that normal wear and tear of the garments will occur over time, so it is within the discretion of 808 THREADS’ staff to determine if minor damage is acceptable.
3. If any garment is damaged beyond repair as determined by 808 THREADS while in the possession of the RENTER, the bond paid by the RENTER will be withheld and the RENTER shall be held liable to reimburse 808 THREADS for the remainder of the recommended retail price (RRP) of the garment.
4. If the RENTER identifies any damage prior to wearing the garment (examples as in Clause 2) they should contact 808 THREADS immediately to resolve the issue. If the RENTER fails to notify 808 THREADS of any such damage prior to wearing the garment, the RENTER will be held liable and 808 THREADS has the discretion to withhold all, or a portion of, the bond paid by the RENTER.
5. The RENTER shall not launder the hired garment. It is 808 THREADS’ responsibility to launder all garments that have been hired. If the RENTER does launder the garment (in any capacity) 808 THREADS reserves the right to withhold all, or a portion of, the bond from the RENTER. If a garment worn by the RENTER requires more than one dry cleaning 808 THREADS will withhold the value of the additional dry cleaning from the RENTER’S bond.
6. If the RENTER fails to return the garment to 808 THREADS due to loss or theft, the RENTER is liable to reimburse 808 THREADS for the recommended retail price (RRP) of the garment. The cost of reimbursement shall come in addition to the hire fee paid by the RENTER.
7. Any bonds paid by the RENTER will be refunded within 1 week of the garments return to 808 THREADS by bank transfer.
8. All rented garments shall be picked up by the RENTER or an acquaintance during times made available by 808 THREADS’ staff at our premises.
9. For garments to be worn on the weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday), the RENTER shall return the garment by Monday close of business. For garments to be worn on weekdays (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday), the RENTER shall return the garment by close of business the following day.
10. If the RENTER fails to return the garment within the terms outlined in Clause 8, 808 THREADS will withhold $10 from the bond paid for every day late. The RENTER will be liable to repay any additional late fees if these exceed the value of the bond held by 808 THREADS for previous late fees or repair costs incurred by 808 THREADS.
11. 808 THREADS do not offer refunds on any pre-booked garments due to change of mind. 808 THREADS will offer a redeemable store credit for the value of the hire fee paid. The RENTER will receive their bond back if paid in advance for change of mind.
12. For cancellations of pre-booked garments under extenuating circumstances to be determined by 808 THREADS, the RENTER may receive a refund of their hire fee. As in Clause 12, the RENTER shall receive their bond back if paid in advance.
13. 808 THREADS will allow 1 swap of garment per booking. If the RENTER’s new choice of garment is of higher value than the original garment choice, the difference must be paid by the RENTER. The difference will not be refunded by 808 THREADS to the RENTER if the new garment is of lesser value.
14. If the RENTER does not wear the garment during their allocated hire period, they will remain liable for the disclosed hire fee as well as any damages (as in Clause 2).
15. Any garments pre-booked which are deemed unwearable before the RENTER’s date will be given a full refund.
16. Acceptance of returned garments by 808 THREADS does not constitute a waiver of any of the rights 808 THREADS has under these terms and conditions.
BOND TERMS AND CONDITIONS
17. The RENTER will pay 808 THREADS a bond when making a booking or on pick-up of their garment.
18. The bond paid by the RENTER will be fully refunded if the garment is returned in an acceptable condition as determined by 808 THREADS.
19. If the garment is considered to be in a non-acceptable condition (examples as in Clause 2) by 808 THREADS, 808 THREADS reserves the right to withhold all, or a portion of, the bond paid by the RENTER. Once 808 THREADS has returned the garment to an acceptable condition using the bond, the RENTER shall be entitled to any of the bond that was unused by 808 THREADS.
20. If excessive makeup stains, stains caused by fake tan, marks resulting from Hollywood or hemming tape, excessive odours, or evidence of pins being put in the garment are identified by 808 THREADS when the garment is returned, 808 THREADS has the discretion to withhold all, or a portion of, the bond paid by the RENTER.
21. If the RENTER returns the garment without the same garment bag or hanger with which the garment was given to them, 808 THREADS will deduct $5 for each missing item from the renter’s bond.
POSTAGE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
22. To book in any item the RENTER must pay the full hiring price of their selected garment, the bond and postage costs. No garments are held for dates without payment.
23. Postage costs are at the RENTER’S expense and each package sent by 808 THREADS includes an Australia Post return satchel which is pre-filled and included in the overall postage fee.
24. Wednesday is the last day for the RENTER to hire a garment for that weekend via post.
25. 808 THREADS do not provide signature on delivery for postage items. Packages may be left outside residences if no one is home upon delivery. The RENTER is liable to any weather damage or goods being stolen from their property. The parcel tracking number will be provided to the RENTER to best track the delivery time.
26. The RENTER must lodge their return at an Australia Post Office on the Monday following the weekend of their hire. Midweek hires are to be posted back the day following the event. For each day the lodgement of the return is late, 808 THREADS will deduct $10 from the bond. 808 THREADS has all tracking numbers for return parcels and are able to monitor the status of any returns.
27. For hires on/over public holidays, postage customers will be allowed to post the garment back on Tuesday without incurring any late fee.
28. 808 THREADS will refund the RENTER’S bond within one week of receiving the parcel to evaluate the garment’s state (refer to Clause’s 2 & 3).